Estimated Time to Read: 2 minute
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is undoubtedly a serious offense as the driver is not only putting his/her life in danger but is also putting other commuters’ life at stake. DUI as a serious offense and all states have framed their own rules and restrictions on the minimum amount of alcohol that is permissible, the penalty amount, jail time and many more associated things. Here is a brief on the DUI charges and details on when to consult a DUI lawyer if you are accused and arrested for drunken driving.
• If your blood alcohol content (BAC) is more than these minimum levels and if you are found driving, you will be arrested in under DUI charges.
• Each state has an implied consent law according to which the police have all the rights to immediately suspend your driving privileges and fine you if you don’t comply and refuse to take a field sobriety test before arrest or a chemical test after the arrest.
• The penalties, jail time and type of public service assigned vary on the type of offense. There are three kinds of DUI offense based on the severity of the damage caused and a 1st offense DUI is associated with driver’s license suspension for a period of 9 months, a fine up to $1000 and a jail time ranging from 180 days to one year.
• A 2nd offense DUI comes with 1 year imprisonment, a fine of $1500 and license suspension for one whole year. Similarly, a 3rd offense leads to 1 year imprisonment, a fine of $1500 and a 2 year driver’s license suspension.
• If a person commits the same DUI offense more than one time, the severity of the punishment, the fine amount and the public service duration correspondingly increase.
When to Consult a DUI Attorney
It is wise to consult your DUI defense attorney as soon as you are stopped under the suspicion of drunken driving. Any statement or action made during this time can be used against you in the court and hence having a DUI lawyer to advise you in times like these is a wise choice. From here on, you would need your DUI attorney in Denver, or other US cities such as Phoenix, San Diego, San Jose s etc to. During all the legal procedures of a DUI case, starting from bail and preliminary hearing to plea bargain, trial and sentencing. Hiring an experienced and reputed DUI attorney will save you time and all the legal trouble. The DUI lawyer will also help you to come out clean or at least end up with a decent and less severe punishment.